Sunday, January 19, 2014

Getting back to my Graphic Design Roots

It is January 19th and I realized today that my blog is a little over half a month old. Granted, I have only posted a total of six posts which is definitely not a lot. But the more I think about it, the more I feel like I want to keep working on this and building it up more and more. At the moment, it is a sad sight to see with zero followers but I am not going to let it bother me in the slightest because in actuality, I am kind of happy. I am happy because she needs  a lot of work and it gives me time to tap into my old designing days and try to come up with something.


A little bit of a back story...

I went to college for Art with a Concentration in Graphic Design. Granted, it was not some big Art Institute.. it was a state school that was more known for teaching degrees. But you make the best of what you have, right? Exactly. However.. if we had the option to go back in time and change something, I think I would change the effort I put into school and getting help for my depression sooner. It completely screwed up any drive I had to learn. Regardless Senior year.. I got married and had a baby. My graphics teacher, who was very rough around the edges, informed me I was ruining any chance I had to be a designer and pretty much ruining my life in general. At the time I thought this was really rude and heartless but in a way, she was completely right. After graduation in 2005 with a Bachelors, I became the stay at home mom to our now oldest son while my husband worked. A few years later, we welcomed another son and then after he was born, I became pregnant with our daughter. All the while, never really doing anything in the field of art. I took up a nasty habit of online gaming in mmo's and wasted so many years during my twenties. 


Fast forwarding to today...

Now with our children being ages 10, 8, and 7, I am still the stay at home mom. I have kicked the nasty gaming habit. I am seeking help for my depression, bipolar, and anxiety. And I feel this drive in me to find that spark and love I used to have for all things Art - whether it be graphic design, painting, or drawing. Believe me, the designer in me is ridiculously rusty if there is one at all. But lately, I find myself continuously searching for and reading designing websites and other lovely blogs around the web. I find them extremely inspirational. 

In the end, I would love to sell my paintings and drawings online or have some type of income that would involve art. I don't think I have it in me to do the whole graphic design thing anymore. Mainly because, I graduated in 2005 and never had a real job in that field. You can't have "2-3 years experience" if you have been a stay at home mom for nine years. It makes things tricky. So if you think about it.. the harsh professor was right to an extent.. I didn't have my design career but I am not going to let that stop me from being happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment